- Questo topic ha 0 risposte, 1 partecipante ed è stato aggiornato l'ultima volta 10 mesi, 2 settimane fa da Laura Howard.
6 Dicembre 2020 alle 9:41 am #16499Laura HowardOspite
Empires of the Indus
The Story of a River
by Alice Albinia
- ISBN: 9780719560033 (0719560039)
- Author: Alice Albinia
- Awards: Guardian First Book Award Nominee for Longlist (2008), Somerset Maugham Award (2009), RSL Jerwood Award (2005), Stanford Dolman Travel Book of the Year (2009)
- Release date: November 1, 2008
- Publisher: John Murray
- Genres: history, travel, india, pakistan, travelogue, asia, cultural, geography, anthropology
- Language: english
- Format: hardcover, 366 pages
About The Book
One of the largest rivers in the world, the Indus rises in the Tibetan mountains, flows west across northern India and south through Pakistan. For millennia it has been worshipped as a god; for centuries used as a tool of imperial expansion; today it is the cement of Pakistans fractious union. Five thousand years ago, a string of sophisticated cities grew and traded on its banks. In the ruins of these elaborate metropolises, Sanskrit-speaking nomads explored the river, extolling its virtues in Indias most ancient text, the Rig-Veda. During the past two thousand years a series of invaders Alexander the Great, Afghan Sultans, the British Raj made conquering the Indus valley their quixotic mission. For the people of the river, meanwhile, the Indus valley became a nodal point on the Silk Road, a centre of Sufi pilgrimage and the birthplace of Sikhism. Empires of the Indus follows the river upstream and back in time, taking the reader on a voyage through two thousand miles of geography and more than five millennia of history redolent with contemporary importance.
TXT ebook Empires of the Indus buy on Walmart. FictionBook book Empires of the Indus Alice Albinia read on PocketBook. MOBI Empires of the Indus on Dymocks. Paperback book Empires of the Indus by Alice Albinia download for Kindle.
Hardback Empires of the Indus buy cheap on Book Depository. Hardcover ebook Empires of the Indus Alice Albinia read online iPhone. EPUB ebook Empires of the Indus download Android. Online Empires of the Indus by Alice Albinia on Audible.Se ti è piaciuto quello che hai letto, perché non lo condividi?